Tres de estos verbos pueden aplicársele seguidamente el gerundio o el infinitivo indistintamente: start (arrancar, comenzar), continue (continuar) y begin (iniciar):
- It began to rain / raining.
- The fans continued to shout / shouting at the referee.
- Helen started to cough / coughing because of her bad cold.
- I hate talking to her.
- I like getting up early on Sunday mornings to go riding.
- Con los verbos forget (olvidar) y remember (recordar), el gerundio hace referencia a una acción que aconteció antes que el hecho de recordar u olvidar:
I remember having given him the key.
I will never forget going water rafting in Africa.
I will never forget the occasion on which we went water rafting in Africa.
I forgot to post that letter.
I did not post the letter because I forgot.
- El verbo stop:
You must stop smoking.
- El verbo Go:
He went on talking about himself, even though nobody was listening.
- El verbo Try:
Try to open the window. I can't because I'm not very strong and it has recently been painted.
Sin embargo, try + gerund sugiere que probablemente no lleguemos a conocer las consecuencias de la acción:
- Phew! It's hot in here!.
- Try opening the window. Although it's probably just as hot outside!.